SEO stands for search engine optimization. It is the process of getting traffic to your website from the free or natural listings on search engines. All major search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing have such results, where web pages and other content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users.
Search is one the top two internet activities. Basically, 82.6% of internet users use search. 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine. And, Google is one of the foremost search engines used to search anything on the internet. It handles 100 billion searches per month!
So it becomes important for any website wanting to drive visitors to their sites, to see that they get featured on the Search Engines.. more than any other method. A study shows that search is the #1 driver of traffic to sites, beating social media by more than 300%
And just getting listed on a search engine (like Google) is not enough. The website has to rank high up on the first two pages or else the listing shall rarely fetch traffic to the sites. as another study shows that 75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results.
Does your website need to be promoted? If no, or you are unsure, then see these statistics and you might want to reconsider.
Importance of featuring high in Search listings
At WIIPL we can step in and help your website get the visitors coming to your website. We would -
- analyze your website
- help you by using appropriate keywords and phrases
- promote by using appropriate programming language and technology
- do a research and analysis of the prevailing industry standards as also a critical analysis of some of the prominent websites in the same category
- regular update and maintenance of keywords and phrases used
- constantly track the site's positions in important Search Engines and
- prepare reports w.r.t Search Engine positioning and website statistics.
Misconceptions about Website Promotion
There are a few misconceptions about website promotion, that need to be cleared here -
- Website promotion is not a standalone activity. It needs to be worked upon alongwith the web design, web hosting, etc. So having someone who can not only host and design your site but also promote it, would be a huge plus point.
- If you have great content, you'll automatically get good ranking and traffic. It is not as simple as that, else, great policies would have equalled successful politicians. There's work to be done upon different aspects of a site and the site content is one of them, albeit a crucial one.
- First you design your site and then add the website promotion bit. It doesn't work that way. Website promotion is an integral part of website design and attempting to add it later on can only add to the cost, timeframe and not lead to maximized results.
- Website promotion is a time-consuming and a costly affair. This need not be so. While getting the site to feature at the top can take some time, it need not be a costly affair, especially if one takes in the increased traffic to the site.
- Website promotion is easy and can be done in-house. The sheer complexity and online competition for rankings makes this extremely difficult for most companies. Most businesses don't understand the basic site promotion fundamentals such as how to properly use the keywords and how to code the page such that it is search engine-friendly. Nor do they have the capacity to stay abreast of the shifting submissions and ranking criteria standards, which requires tweaking of the site and methods used to promote it. It can be a time-intensive activity which if not done properly can adversely affect the success of a website.